SJP Building Services

Professional, Reliable Building Services Specialist

Builders, Renovation, Extension, Roofing, Rendering & Boiler Servicing – FAQ.

Please see below some of the questions that people ask us relating to our builders work.

We need an extension to our house – where do we start?

We will come to view your property and discuss what you want to achieve. We arrange for the architect to come to visit you and discuss your requirements in more detail. He will then produce a scaled drawing of the modifications and extension to your house. We then submit the plans to the Planning Department for approval. This usually takes around eight weeks. We also apply for Building Regs, and the whole approval process usually takes 10 – 12 weeks.

The flat roof on my house is leaking. Why do flat roofs to leak?

Weather and the elements affect flat roofs. The sun bakes the roof, the sun’s UV rays dry it out. In Winter the frost makes it brittle and the roof becomes susceptible to cracking. Rain will then enter the roof through even the smallest cracks. Over time, if it is left unattended, the roofing boards will perish and will also need replacing.

Why should I have my boiler serviced?

Servicing is a form of preventative maintenance, to prevent a large number of problems which could damage or even break your boiler. Dust build up within the working of your boiler can cause electrical problems. The boiler can be vacuumed out to remove this harmful dust. A flush of the system with a rust inhibitor additive will help prevent rust accumulating in the boiler. If rust develops and enters the pump it could break it. It is also possible to fit a special magnetic device which the water passes through and any rust is collected by the magnet.

photo-0006The render on the front of my house is cracked and causing damp on the walls. What should I do?

Over time, render can be affected by the outside elements, causing some of the render to break down. Water penetrates through to the brick, which may be old and porus. Also, on many older houses, the mortar is weak and porus.

The solution – we would remove all of the old render and treat the wall with an SBR agent. We would apply a scratch coat of sand and cement with a waterproofing additive, to repel water and stop it from penetrating. A topcoat of sand and cement would then be applied, with a small amount of waterproofing additive, to a rubbed up flat finish. There are various types of finish that can then be applied such as pebble dashing, tyrolean and Jontex high build finish, which comes in 3 different colours and different patterns.

We need a new kitchen where do we start?

We will come to your property and do a full survey of the kitchen and discuss your requirements and show you a few different options. We will take care of all building works from start to finish, from removing walls, electrical work, plastering, plumbing, kitchen fitting, tiling walls and floors, or timber flooring.

We need a full renovation to our property, how do we arrange this?

We will arrange a date and time to do a full survey of your property. Tell me your requirements and we will take care of the rest. We will project manage the site, order all materials and co-ordinate all trades to take care of all works, right through to decorating and carpeting, making it a stress free project for you.

We need a new bathroom renovation, how do we go about this?

A full survey of the bathroom will need to be done. We will show you a variety of options you can take. We will take the bathroom back to bare brick and start afresh, giving you the perfect quality finish you are looking for.

Builders Wigan & Bolton, Building Regs, Planning Application, House Extension Renovation, Roofing, Rendering & Boiler Servicing.

Builders, House Extensions, Renovations Wigan | Bolton | Leigh | Manchester | Horwich | Chorley | Golborne | Little Lever | Little Hulton | Atherton | Westhoughton | Tyldesley | Standish | Coppull | Hindley | Walkden | Worsley | Haydock | Newton Le Willows | Ashton in Makerfield